The Gamma Quadrant Awaits Story Arc
This is the first story arc of the Nogura since her reboot in May 2017 and merger with the crews of the USS Solaria and the USS Ulysses over the time since then.
Stardate 65750.69: September 1st, 2388
• USS Solaria arrives at New Bajor and Captain Nisea meets Vice Admiral Lauren Archer to discuss new orders for the ship.
• Captain Nisea receives confirmation of her reassignment. A change of command ceremony takes place at 1700 hours with Captain Nilni Azulas (Trill) and Commander Seth Cohen (Terran) forming the new command team of the Solaria. Captain Nisea transfers to New Bajor for orders.
• The ships departure is halted by the sudden reassignment of Commander Cohen. Commander Audrid Kane transfers aboard and is reunited with Captain Azulas; a command team that has worked to great affect in the past.
• Solaria departs for the Rakhar system.
Stardate 65756.15: October 3rd, 2388
• Two days after arriving at Rakhar, a Universal Translator malfunction causes a diplomatic incident during the Ambassador’s visit to the Solaria. A member of the crew inadvertently uses the word “Shuvv’aq” which roughly translates to bastard.
• Solaria is instructed to depart the Rakhar system and to never return unless an invitation is received. Azulas sets course for the Svarog system.
• The ship arrives at the border of the Moray Nebula and are faced with a dilemma – travel around it and come perilously close to Dominion space or travel through the nebula at a much reduced speed. Captain Azulas opts to traverse the nebula.
• Prior to the launch of the mission, Solaria is ordered to rendezvous with the USS Lexington for crew transfers before reporting back to New Bajor.
Stardate 65759.02: October 4th, 2388
• USS Solaria arrives at New Bajor, home of Starfleet’s first construction facilities in the quadrant. Captain Azulas and her command crew are ordered to meet Admiral Archer aboard the first vessel to be constructed in the Gamma Quadrant – the USS Endeavour.
• Shortly after their tour of the brand new Sovereign-class vessel, Archer leaves Azulas and Kane to make a startling discovery – Admiral Archer had received special dispensation from the Chief of Starfleet Operations to rename the Endeavour to the USS Nogura in recognition of the ship that had served Starfleet so well. In addition, Azulas and crew were officially requested and required to assume command of the new Sovereign-class ship.
• Shortly after assuming command of the Nogura and with her latest orders in mind, Captain Azulas welcomes Vice Admiral Mitchell Hanson and his colleague, Commander Tara Neprem, aboard the ship. The details of his visit are kept from most of the crew but it is soon learnt that Commander Neprem has links to the infamous Nathan Hunter and is aboard to assist in his capture.
Stardate 66001.91: January 1st, 2389
• Whilst scouting for potential colonization sites, the Nogura tries to make contact with the science team on Kylata III but their efforts go unanswered. Captain Azulas orders the ship to the system.
• When continued communication efforts go unanswered, two away teams are sent to the planet but contact is soon lost with the teams.
• On the planet, the two teams split up and are soon cut off from each other and the Nogura. Events that transpire suggest the science team on the planet have been mutated in some way. Once communication with Nogura is re-established via a shuttlecraft, the away teams are located and transferred back to the ship. Kylata is placed under quarantine as per the orders of Admiral Ryan and the ship remains on station until the USS Discovery arrives to take over the investigation.
• Nogura heads off on further patrols of the ‘Outlands’, the furthest edge of Federation controlled space in the Gamma Quadrant.
Stardate 66259.13: April 5th, 2389
• USS Ulysses is docked at Deep Space 10 in the Trivas System having completed her refit and is taking on new personnel when the Captain and his crew receive orders from Rear Admiral Vasoch Gor, the former commander of the Ulysses. The crew are to prepare for departure on a mission into the Gavarian Corridor. With their orders received, Captain Drayton rescinds all shore leave and recalls his staff. Preparations for departure begin.
Stardate 66261.87: April 6th, 2389
• News reaches the Ulysses that the 72nd Starfighter Squadron are to be assigned to the ship to bolster her mission capabilities as the crew travels into the Corridor. As modifications take place to Shuttlebay 3, the crew say goodbye to Lt. Commander Murphy O’Connell, the ships Engineer, who transfers to a new posting on Earth just days before the ships departure.
• Additional orders soon arrive from Starbase 72 in the Minos Korva system that puts the Captain on a heightened state of readiness but he opts to keep his new orders secret for the time being.
• Later in the evening, the Captain is surprised at the sudden arrival of Admiral Gor who brings the command team up to speed on the trial of a Cardassian fugitive finally captured after years on the run. The trial has the potential to destabilize the peace treaty that has been in place for only a matter of days…
Stardate 66264.61: April 7th, 2389
• Following the early morning arrival of the 72nd Squadron, Captain Drayton decides to hold a senior staff briefing where he finally informs his crew of the ships mission into the Gavarian Corridor.
• Towards the end of the day, Ulysses successfully launches from Deep Space 10 and finally enters the Corridor, headed for an asteroid field called Belkan’s Drift.
Stardate 66267.35: April 8th, 2389
• After almost a days travel to Belkan’s Drift, the Ulysses encounters a Borg Cube hiding among the field.
• With the Cube damaged and in hibernation mode, Drayton sends an away team to the Cube to ascertain the purpose of the ships presence, but the arrival of a Romulan Warbird complicates matters.
Stardate 66276.14: April 11th, 2389
• Nogura has been on patrol for a number of weeks and has suffered a number of crew changes. She soon arrives at the Nerey’n system to begin scientific investigation for possible colony sites.
• A call for assistance is received from Doctor Krel Adar, lead scientist of a dig on the planet of Nerey’n II. Commander Kane and an away team assist with excavating a device of unknown origin that the Doctor believes to be a significant discovery.
• Meanwhile, Captain Azulas and the remaining crew of the Nogura are alerted to the kidnapping of a child, JP Hanson, who is the son of a prominent Starfleet Admiral. After investigating the disappearance, Commander Neprem and her team ascertain that Consortium traitor Nathan Hunter is responsible.
• Nogura teams up with the USS Thesis is track down Hunter and rescue JP Hanson. After a showdown on the surface of Apizmic III, Nathan Hunter is taken into custody and the child rescued and reunited with his mother, MCPO Carter.
• The Captain orders the Nogura to return to Nerey’n where the crew reunites with the away team. With the excavation complete, Nogura is ordered to return to New Bajor for orders from Admiral Archer.
Stardate 66289.84: April 16th, 2389
• The Nogura returns to the New Bajor system and temporary shore leave is granted to her crew.
Stardate 66342.34: May 5th, 2389 – Mission Day 120
• After nearly three weeks of waiting, the USS Nogura gets a new commanding officer. Transferring in from the Thesis, Captain Thalek th’Zorati is tasked with leading the Nogura on a mission to track down the Consortium Agent known as Monhok in the Yadera system (on the border of the Maran Republic).
• Nathan Hunter, a known terrorist and scourge of Starfleet, provides intelligence to lead the Nogura to their target. Upon the orders of Commodore Azulas, Hunter boards the Nogura once again and provides further information to aid in the crews search.
• Vice Admiral Hanson and Master Chief Carter beam aboard and to be transported to Altor.
• Nogura hunts down Monhok who has escaped via a modified vessel and flees to the Alpha Quadrant. Nogura gives chase and pursues the ship into the Gavarian Corridor.
• The Ulysses, deep in the Alpha Quadrant, has suffered engine failure after an early Quantum Slipstream Drive test. Repairs are underway and Captain Drayton orders an investigation when no one seems to be able to pinpoint the cause.
• With repairs having restored power, Ulysses receives a plea for assistance from the Nogura and the two ships trap Monhok’s vessel inside the Mourir Nebula. Once there however, Monhok beams an explosive device aboard the Ulysses, causing catastrophic damage.
• Captain th’Zorati beams the crew of the Ulysses aboard before the ship explodes. Before the Nogura can give chase, three unknown vessels appear and aide the fugitives escape.
• Faced with orders from Admiral Hanson to return to Deep Space 10, Captain th’Zorati resigns his command and Commander Neprem is made acting commander. As the commander takes command, catastrophic systems failures start to cripple systems throughout the ship.
• Nathan Hunter, in a bid to finally atone for his crimes, reveals that th’Zorati is a Consortium Agent. As Neprem and the crew try to locate th’Zorati, a deadly confrontation between Hunter and the Andorian leaves the human prisoner dead, but with a great sense of relief after helping to bring down the enemy at last.
• In a final confrontation between th’Zorati and Neprem (with the assistance of Commander Garen Romaes), the Andorian is thwarted in his attempt to destroy the vessel and flees via long-range Dominion transporter technology. Nogura subsequently returns to Starbase 72.
Freedom’s Legion Story Arc
The second main story arc the Nogura has embarked upon sees the ship transfer to a new task force and undergo a number of radical changes.
Stardate 66382.53: May 20th, 2389 – Mission Day 135
• Fifteen days after the events that saw the loss of the USS Ulysses, the escape of Monhok, the death of Nathan Hunter and the betrayal of Thalek th’Zorati, an inquest by the Judge Advocate General hears the testimony and evidence of countless personnel from both starships and beyond. It is soon clear that a catalogue of errors led up to the events of stardate 66342.34.
• Admiral Sitak finds that, after looking at the evidence, the failure of the slipstream drive aboard the Ulysses was precipitated by an act of sabotage that could not have been foreseen. Captain Drayton, in her opinion, rendered aide to a fellow Starfleet crew in a bid to capture a terrorist, a man who would have put many more lives at risk, and in doing so, risked his ship and crew in the defence of the Federation.
• Sitak, most uncharacteristically, apologises to the crew of the Nogura for them being placed in an extremely volatile situation through no fault of their own. She acknowledged the catalogue of errors relating to the appointment of Thalek th’Zorati and, had never been in command, then none of the subsequent events would have occurred. In a volley of fire aimed at the superiors of the Task Force, Sitak states that the negligence of said superiors put the ship and crew at risk whilst also confirming her respect for the Commander’s attempts to apprehend the Andorian.
• Sitak shocks the room with a sudden betrayal of Starfleet Intelligence; she reveals that at the start of the Consortium surge, then Captain Nathan Hunter was assigned to Starfleet Intelligence as an operative. He would later, as part of his cover, be granted command of the Nogura. During his first mission in command of the Nogura, Hunter was deemed to be a traitor and a Consortium agent. In truth, he was an undercover asset for Starfleet Intelligence. The Vulcan reveals that it was unclear when the Captain truly fell under the Consortium spell and whilst he did commit crimes, it is so often the case with undercover assets that they find themselves either believing in the cause of the very people they were sent to ensnare or having to carry out unspeakable acts to maintain their cover.
• Sitak claims that there had been many claims about his actions, often with little more than circumstantial evidence, but it was her belief that in the days prior to his death, the old Nathan Hunter began to resurface. He provided evidence to bring down the downfall of Consortium agents and was playing a key role in the apprehension of a known asset. At a time when he was provided with both a means of escape and the means to kill again, Hunter rejected both. In doing so, he gave his life, once again, in service to the Federation. It was her official recommendation that his record be restored and he no longer be considered a traitor, branding him a “lone Starfleet Officer who, at some point, seemingly lost his way.” before adding that he eventually found his way home again.
• In closing, Sitak’s judgement was that both Drayton and Neprem were to be cleared of any wrongdoing in relation to the loss of the Ulysses, the death of Nathan Hunter and the escape of the Consortium agents, adding that it was but it was her belief that none of the incidents were entirely preventable and certainly not by an officer propelled to command after the betrayal of her commanding officer, nor an officer suffering the loss of his starship. Sitak declared that no charges of any kind would be brought.
• Following the inquest, Neprem and Drayton meet with Admiral Zachary O’Connell of Task Force 72. He offers Drayton command of the Nogura and together, the two officers seek to start a fresh chapter in the history of the ship and crew by not returning to the Gamma Quadrant and the ghosts of the past.
• Later and back on the ship during their discussions about crew replacements, an explosion rocks the Nogura and critically injures the ships Chief Engineer, Lieutenant Meibei zh'Khessi. Drayton orders an evacuation of all non-essential personnel as engineering leads a sweep of the ship for any other affected systems.
• Lieutenant Commander Cordelia Millarini (seconded to the ship to oversee the completion of the Quantum Slipstream Drive installation) works with Master Chief Andrea Cater to ascertain the cause of the explosion. Together, the two find evidence of a cloaked explosive and lead a search of the ship for further explosive devices.
• Meanwhile, Captain Drayton wrestles with a potentially deadly decision – should he have the doctors wake up the Chief Engineer in order to learn what she had found out prior to the explosion?