JP Farrell & Lynch

A place to work on joint posts with other players via tagging stream.
Cameron_Lynch
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: JP Farrell & Lynch

Post by Cameron_Lynch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Deck 23 in the 'neck' of the large Galaxy-class Starship was home to her primary impulse engine. It was there that Lieutenant Lynch had gone following his outburst on the Bridge. It still pissed him off that the senior officers were quicker to bitch about things not working right than they were to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in to help fix those problems. He was even more pissed off that he had said anything at all. 'You should have just bit your tongue and said nothing.' He'd told himself over and over since then.

'Problem with that is that I probably would have bitten the tip of my tongue off if I had.' The thought brought a smile to himself. Cameron had always been prone to speaking his mind, no matter who he was speaking it. It had resulted in a number of black marks on his record and he doubted that he was in line to receive a promotion to Lieutenant Commander anytime soon. "You're here to fly, not to gather pips and awards." He told himself out loud as he completed the readjustment to the Impulse Stabilisers. Typing a command into the console, he began a level three diagnostic that would tell him if his work had been successful.

A short while later, the doors to impulse control parted and another individual in command red entered, but this was not one of the Flight Operations team. No, it was someone a little more senior than that. "Lieutenant Lynch," Sebastian announced his arrival, a little sterner than he had perhaps meant to.

Cameron twisted at the hip to find the Captain standing at the door. He turned completely. "What brings you to impulse control, sir?"

"Oh, you know, just taking a stroll," the Captain lied, but did so with a smile on his face. The reason he'd come down to impulse control, the true reason, was probably not lost on the man opposite him. "How are the engines?" he queried, feigning interest in the impulse drive.

Lieutenant Lynch knew bullshit when he smelled it but, miraculously, he refrained from calling him out on it. Instead he turned back to the console, "I've corrected the problem with the stabilisers." The just completed diagnostic had confirmed that for him. "They're good for launch."

"Excellent," the Captain smiled as he sheepishly tapped the console top with the palm of his hand. "They're about the only things that are ready," he added, "which brings me on to my next question..."

Cameron nodded. "Which is?"

"Do you have a problem with the senior staff?" the master and commander of the ship queried, finally looking at the Lieutenant, "or perhaps with the Captain, or his orders?" he added with a fake smile.

A war was being waged internally between Cameron's demons and his better angels. 'Don't take the bait.' Argued the angels. 'You'd better believe you're gonna take the bait.' Shot back the demons. He met the Captain's gaze. The demons were right. "I have a problem with any group of officers, senior or otherwise, whose first instinct is to stand around and complain rather than showing some real leadership and getting involved." Never mind kissing Lieutenant Commander goodbye, he'd be lucky to still have a job after this conversation.

Sebastian regarded the man opposite him closely, and sternly. With a raised eyebrow, he eventually spoke again. "And you are right to be, Lieutenant," the Captain conceded, "but that frustration at senior officers should not be aired on the bridge for all to see. Any other Captain would have likely dragged you into the ready room and bollocked you, but I'm not any other Captain and I can see how frustrating it is," the Captain frowned as he moved his body and perched on the edge of the console.

If the Captain was expecting Cameron to apologise or to even feel remorseful, he would be bitterly disappointed. "I understand you would've prefer that I'd taken you to one side and had a quiet word but, due respect, the point needed to be made and, in my opinion, it needed to be made right there and then in front of your senior officers. It wouldn't have landed with the same impact otherwise."

"Maybe so, but these people need to be able to trust you, Lieutenant. They need to be able to trust that you will have their back in a crisis, no matter how big or how small that crisis may be," the Captain told again, despite the adversarial nature of the Lieutenant's previous remarks, he would persist. "And I need to know you are part of the team, Lieutenant, and that I can trust you to have the backs of my people. If that trust is even remotely misplaced..." he opted to let his words trail off, hoping that the Flight Operations Officer would get the gist of what he was trying to say. If not though, the Captain would happily spell it out for the man.

"Sir, I'm a Starfleet Officer. The men and women onboard this ship, no matter how annoying I may find them, are my brothers and sisters. I'd give me life for any of them if it came down to it. I'll always have their backs." Cameron replied, making his position clear. "I can't guarantee that I won't upset anyone by speaking my mind but my dedication to Starfleet, the Nogura or her crew is not to be doubted."

TAG
Sebastian Farrell
Captain
Captain

Post by Sebastian Farrell » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Deck 23 in the 'neck' of the large Galaxy-class Starship was home to her primary impulse engine. It was there that Lieutenant Lynch had gone following his outburst on the Bridge. It still pissed him off that the senior officers were quicker to bitch about things not working right than they were to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in to help fix those problems. He was even more pissed off that he had said anything at all. 'You should have just bit your tongue and said nothing.' He'd told himself over and over since then.

'Problem with that is that I probably would have bitten the tip of my tongue off if I had.' The thought brought a smile to himself. Cameron had always been prone to speaking his mind, no matter who he was speaking it. It had resulted in a number of black marks on his record and he doubted that he was in line to receive a promotion to Lieutenant Commander anytime soon. "You're here to fly, not to gather pips and awards." He told himself out loud as he completed the readjustment to the Impulse Stabilisers. Typing a command into the console, he began a level three diagnostic that would tell him if his work had been successful.

A short while later, the doors to impulse control parted and another individual in command red entered, but this was not one of the Flight Operations team. No, it was someone a little more senior than that. "Lieutenant Lynch," Sebastian announced his arrival, a little sterner than he had perhaps meant to.

Cameron twisted at the hip to find the Captain standing at the door. He turned completely. "What brings you to impulse control, sir?"

"Oh, you know, just taking a stroll," the Captain lied, but did so with a smile on his face. The reason he'd come down to impulse control, the true reason, was probably not lost on the man opposite him. "How are the engines?" he queried, feigning interest in the impulse drive.

Lieutenant Lynch knew bullshit when he smelled it but, miraculously, he refrained from calling him out on it. Instead he turned back to the console, "I've corrected the problem with the stabilisers." The just completed diagnostic had confirmed that for him. "They're good for launch."

"Excellent," the Captain smiled as he sheepishly tapped the console top with the palm of his hand. "They're about the only things that are ready," he added, "which brings me on to my next question..."

"Do you have a problem with the senior staff?" the master and commander of the ship queried, finally looking at the Lieutenant, "or perhaps with the Captain, or his orders?" he added with a fake smile.

A war was being waged internally between Cameron's demons and his better angels. 'Don't take the bait.' Argued the angels. 'You'd better believe you're gonna take the bait.' Shot back the demons. He met the Captain's gaze. The demons were right. "I have a problem with any group of officers, senior or otherwise, whose first instinct is to stand around and complain rather than showing some real leadership and getting involved." Never mind kissing Lieutenant Commander goodbye, he'd be lucky to still have a job after this conversation.

Sebastian regarded the man opposite him closely, and sternly. With a raised eyebrow, he eventually spoke again. "And you are right to be, Lieutenant," the Captain conceded, "but that frustration at senior officers should not be aired on the bridge for all to see. Any other Captain would have likely dragged you into the ready room and bollocked you, but I'm not any other Captain and I can see how frustrating it is," the Captain frowned as he moved his body and perched on the edge of the console.

If the Captain was expecting Cameron to apologise or to even feel remorseful, he would be bitterly disappointed. "I understand you would've prefered that I'd taken you to one side and had a quiet word but, due respect, the point needed to be made and, in my opinion, it needed to be made right there and then in front of your senior officers. It wouldn't have landed with the same impact otherwise."

"Maybe so, but these people need to be able to trust you, Lieutenant. They need to be able to trust that you will have their back in a crisis, no matter how big or how small that crisis may be," the Captain told again, despite the adversarial nature of the Lieutenant's previous remarks, he would persist. "And I need to know you are part of the team, Lieutenant, and that I can trust you to have the backs of my people. If that trust is even remotely misplaced..." he opted to let his words trail off, hoping that the Flight Operations Officer would get the gist of what he was trying to say. If not though, the Captain would happily spell it out for the man.

"Sir, I'm a Starfleet Officer. The men and women on-board this ship, no matter how annoying I may find them, are my brothers and sisters. I'd give me life for any of them if it came down to it. I'll always have their backs." Cameron replied, making his position clear. "I can't guarantee that I won't upset anyone by speaking my mind but my dedication to Starfleet, the Nogura or her crew is not to be doubted."

"Glad to hear it," the Captain smiled at last, happy to put the disagreement behind them. "When you're done here, I'd like you to stop by engineering and see what you can do to help them with the warp engines," he requested before turning to head for the exit of the control room.

TAG
Cameron_Lynch
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cameron_Lynch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:53 pm

If the Captain was expecting Cameron to apologise or to even feel remorseful, he would be bitterly disappointed. "I understand you would've prefered that I'd taken you to one side and had a quiet word but, due respect, the point needed to be made and, in my opinion, it needed to be made right there and then in front of your senior officers. It wouldn't have landed with the same impact otherwise."

"Sir, I'm a Starfleet Officer. The men and women on-board this ship, no matter how annoying I may find them, are my brothers and sisters. I'd give me life for any of them if it came down to it. I'll always have their backs." Cameron replied, making his position clear. "I can't guarantee that I won't upset anyone by speaking my mind but my dedication to Starfleet, the Nogura or her crew is not to be doubted."

"Glad to hear it," the Captain smiled at last, happy to put the disagreement behind them. "When you're done here, I'd like you to stop by engineering and see what you can do to help them with the warp engines," he requested before turning to head for the exit of the control room.

Cameron nodded. "Sir, with your permission I'd like to take charge in Engineering? It's not like there's much going on at the Flight Ops right now so I'd be more use acting up as Chief Engineer, unless Starfleet has finally graced us with a permanent Chief?"

TAG - Just a thought.
Sebastian Farrell
Captain
Captain

Post by Sebastian Farrell » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Cameron nodded. "Sir, with your permission I'd like to take charge in Engineering? It's not like there's much going on at the Flight Ops right now so I'd be more use acting up as Chief Engineer, unless Starfleet has finally graced us with a permanent Chief?"

"Do you think you have the technical know how to deal with all the other glitches we're having? Earlier I had to help Nayeli with a sensor issue that linked with tactical," the Captain explained, genuinely curious as to whether the man felt like he could handle the issue. He had, of course, been planning to send Commander Zar down there, but if Lynch was good enough, Zar could be put to use elsewhere. "The yard engineers have cut so many corners they'll never recognise her the next time I let them loose. IF I let them loose again," he smirked.

TAGS
Cameron_Lynch
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cameron_Lynch » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:11 pm

"Do you think you have the technical know how to deal with all the other glitches we're having? Earlier I had to help Nayeli with a sensor issue that linked with tactical," the Captain explained, genuinely curious as to whether the man felt like he could handle the issue. He had, of course, been planning to send Commander Zar down there, but if Lynch was good enough, Zar could be put to use elsewhere. "The yard engineers have cut so many corners they'll never recognise her the next time I let them loose. IF I let them loose again," he smirked.

The Chief Flight Ops Officer didn't think he had the technical know how, he knew it. "I graduated from the Academy with a degree in Propulsion Systems Engineering." He told the Captain. "Being a shuttle pilot doesn't just mean flying the things, but also maintaining them alongside the engineering staff. I've kept my engineering knowledge up to date since graduating. I'm more than capable of filling in temporarily."

TAG
Sebastian Farrell
Captain
Captain

Post by Sebastian Farrell » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm

The Chief Flight Ops Officer didn't think he had the technical know how, he knew it. "I graduated from the Academy with a degree in Propulsion Systems Engineering." He told the Captain. "Being a shuttle pilot doesn't just mean flying the things, but also maintaining them alongside the engineering staff. I've kept my engineering knowledge up to date since graduating. I'm more than capable of filling in temporarily."

"Very well," the Captain nodded slowly, "make sure you let the XO know and be sure to liaise with the other department heads for anything you need," he directed as he turned to walk away, stopping briefly to add "no matter how annoying they may be" with a cheeky smile.

TAGS

Don't post just yet, one or two others I want to get out first :)